To all those who work together to face the challenges of our time–who believe in the reconciliation of a humanity that is conscious of its fundamental unity–we address this message, in the hope that the International Day for Living Together in Peace, the 16th of May, will be an opportunity to bring forth and strengthen the circle of brotherhood amongst all citizens, communities, people and states.
All together with municipal, regional and national elected officials, economic and religious leaders, national and international organizations, let us sign the Universal Declaration of Living Together in Peace.
Collective action will be the best way for us to give concrete form to Living Together in Peace.
Universal Declaration of Living Together in Peace
Universal Declaration of Living Together in Peace
Taking into consideration that on 8 December, 2017 the 193 member-states of the United Nations Organization unanimously adopted Resolution A/R/72/130, proclaiming the 16th of May of each year the “International Day of Living Together in Peace” (JIVEP);
Further considering that the JIVEP is supported by the African Union (Peace and Security Council, Session 891, 2019) and by the Movement of Non-Aligned Countries (Caracas, 2019);
Further considering that the JIVEP is also supported by various cities and capitals across the world through the Düsseldorf Declaration (International Observatory of Mayors for Living Together, August 2019) in which they agree to celebrate it each year;
Further considering that still today the fear of others fuels intolerance and that the culture of “every man for himself” leads to political, economic, social and environmental conflicts which are detrimental to peace;
Further considering that billions of women and men already live together in harmony in accordance with the values of forgiveness and compassion;
Further considering that we are all dependent on one another, regardless of our origins, our beliefs, our culture, our social status, or where and how we live;
Further considering that it is our human duty to act together with the goal of realizing the reconciliation and the solidarity of the human family;
Finally considering that it is urgent to educate the younger generations in the Culture of Peace, so that as the adults of tomorrow they might build their future together, working with one another and not against each other.
We, citizens of the world, political, economic and social decision-makers, hereby proclaim that we adopt the Universal Declaration of Living Together in Peace in favor of ”tolerance, inclusion, comprehension and solidarity, and we express our profound desire to live and act together, united in difference and diversity, to build a viable world based on peace, solidarity and harmony.” *
Excerpt from UN Resolution A/RES/72/130 for the adoption of the International Day for Living Together in Peace (JIVEP)
By adhering to the Universal Declaration of Living Together in Peace, I commit myself to:
As a citizen, male or female:
- Recognizing the equality of all citizens, male or female, and the interdependence of the bonds that unite us;
- Building bridges and breaking down the walls that separate us;
- Celebrating the International Day of Living Together in Peace, in a spirit of respect for different cultures and local particularities, including by fostering educational initiatives and leading awareness campaigns;
- Working together with national institutions in order to encourage them to create conditions conducive to Living Together in Peace;
As a municipal, regional or national elected official:
- Promoting Living Together in Peace through the recognition and respect of all forms of diversity, and by combatting discrimination in order to facilitate harmonious coexistence in cities;
- Encouraging social unity and cohesion by working closely with community leaders to build mutual confidence and to favor the development of a sense of belonging to society in all citizens, male or female;
- Putting into place strategies which promote Living Together and Acting Together and community activities facilitating contacts between all citizens, male or female.
As a CEO/ manager of a business:
- Working to create an economy which respects life and human dignity, and which rewards cooperative behavior amongst all concerned parties;
- Favoring the emergence of collective projects which give meaning to our daily tasks, and developing companies which serve the common well-being by making profit a means and not an end in itself;
- Modifying our practices in order to manage the impact of economic activity on biodiversity as well as on global warming, and adopting policies which target equality, in particular equal pay for men and women.
As a religious leader:
- Contributing to the reconciliation of the human family in the respect of its religious and spiritual diversity;
As a Head of state or government:
- Continuing to act in favor of reconciliation so as to promote peace and sustainable development, in particular by collaborating with various communities, religious leaders and other concerned parties, adopting measures supporting solidarity, and by urging human beings to embrace forgiveness and compassion;
- Establishing conditions which alleviate economic and social inequalities, notably by prohibiting the exploitation of children;
- Introducing education for the Culture of Peace in school programs at all levels.
As a national or international Organization or Institution:
- Ensuring that the recommendations and principles underlying Resolution A/RES/72/130 of the United Nations Organization take concrete form;
- Promoting international conferences on the topic of Living Together in Peace, and participating in coordinated efforts and actions carried out on a planetary scale.